Gouden Carolus Single Malt is a refined whisky distilled from the mash of Gouden Carolus Tripel beer. Originally brewed for the Knights of the Golden Fleece in 1491, this pleasant golden blond beer is preferred by all who love heavier, somewhat seasoned, full-bodied, and refreshing beer.
A first for Belgium are the hand hammered, copper pot stills, in which the pure mash is distilled. The result is a pure and clear distillate. The ensuing aging in First Fill Bourbon casks followed by a further aging in ‘Anker’ casks (oak casks reworked by the cooper according to Het Anker’s own specifications) results in a refined whisky with a rich and balanced taste. The subtle fruit aromas are delightfully enhanced by hints of wood and vanilla.
- Bottled at 46% abv, Non-chill filtered, natural color
- Double distilled through a wash still and spirit still
- Their stills are custom made by the Forsyths in Rothes
- Their copper stills are hand-hammered, which is a first in Belgium
- Jim Swan was a consultant for the distillery. He was also an instrumental consultant for Kilchoman, Kavalan, Penderyn, & Milk & Honey (amongst others).
- The whisky is matured initially in first-fill Bourbon casks, and then in a ‘Het Anker’ casks – ex-wine casks which are scraped and charred according to the distillery’s own formula.
- The bottle is gorgeous and unique, the rest of the magic is in the bottle
IWSC 2019 – 91 points